I had just enough of my flannelette left to back the top 27″ of the monster (48″ wide), so its guts will be a bit more pieced than i thought (it’s near 80″ long) …ah well, ya gotta start somewhere, and at least it’s pinned ready for basting and the first stitches.
You’ll note i didn’t press any of the fold creases out. I’m leaving them as a grid for each “month”–i figure it’ll take that much time at least for each area, and it gives me a guide and a manageable space to work in. If i get more done, fine, if not, so be it. If i jumped in anywhere, i know i’d get lost! Doesn’t mean that it will be done in an orderly fashion–i can do a less visually interesting area, then skip over to one more dense with imagery. Originally i was going to divide it into 12 sections, but quite frankly the thought of deliberately ironing it all out flat, and then re-adding that many folds is less than appealing, so 8 it is…. i’d rather start than be farfling around with that expanse dragging around through dog hair, grass clippings, catnip and dirty socks! (Hmmm, must be time for the monthly tidy up ) At the end it will either be steamed lightly (learned my lesson when i flattened the face embroidery on “Not the Hive MInd”–NO pressing!) or dampened and hung somewhere cool so it takes a smidge more time to dry and stretch out a bit.
Sheesh, i have more ideas about finishing than starting! I’m not even sure where this one will go or what to do on it. Small steps tonight with the first loaded needle!
I also hate the idea of having to buy more flannelette since cotton prices have gone up so much. When i started using this fabric as batting/wadding, it was 20 bucks for 10 metres, and that was for almost 3 years that the price stayed consistent–the last time i bought it, it had jumped to 45! Necessary evils suck.