I won’t attempt this again. Maybe i just don’t have the touch for it, or Calgary snow is different………
I did scrunch the fabrics, but perhaps not enough and they were dry when they went in, though they had been PFD’d first. Maybe the amount of fluid flattened the scruffling, and the dry just soaked up too much without the fracturing? I used a slightly coarser weave cotton also, and no doubt that affects the appearance as well. And i let all of the snow melt. And my dyes didn’t have enough of a mix of component colours to really separate…..and our water has a lot of iron and minerals in it…
I just don’t have any luck with Procion, no matter the tips and techniques others have shared. On Vancouver Island, though i did little, the results were always predictable bright, saturated and clear (no snow dyeing though ).
The embarrassing, though admittedly better results than the 2011 debacle:
So, none of the wanted crystalline appearance at all. I do have some lovely soft coloured cottons now though, which means at some point they may show up in some work.
Funniest piece was this silk chiffon: Nessie had gotten hold of it once and i thought i had washed it all out, but apparently dog spit acts as a resist Pre-mordanted with a unique substance!
I now add Procion dyeing to my list of cannot do’s, along with gingerbread house building, gift wrapping, sewing angel wings and growing peppers.